Chatroom

[flourish]
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Dairy and Farm Equipment FOR SALE (or barter ...)
 Side Rail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  10:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Jersey Heifer will be calving very soon. I am looking for a "side rail", like is pictured in MaryJane Butter's new book, "Milk Cow Kitchen". This will be heifer's first time being milked and I would feel safer if I had a side rail in which I could use for flank rope or hobble. Any help or information is appreciated. Thank you!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome NellieBellie! Do you have a machine shop nearby? When is your calf due?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  12:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maryjane

Welcome NellieBellie! Do you have a machine shop nearby? When is your calf due?

Yes, we have a machine shop, and our small town has a farrier who welds farm machinery. I have pictures of the side rail in your book "Milk Cow Kitchen" but if you have more detailed photos that would be wonderful. My calf is due anytime. Due date is the July 12th according to gestation charts but I've read where Jersey's will go earlier than other breeds of cattle. I would just feel safer with a side rail for first time milker.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  1:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take some photos of mine and put a tape measure to it so you can get one made. I absolutely LOVE my side rail. I was just down shaving the hair on Sally's udder (away from her teat because it's hard to get hairs disinfected) and even though I had her closest foot hobbled, she flinched and tried to move but she couldn't.

I also love my side rail when I'm giving shots. Even though I have a proper squeeze chute for more serious vet care, I sometimes give them their vaccination boosters in the milking stanchion.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  1:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I know I would feel more confident working with her with a side rail. I have 3 stanchions but head lock isn't going to keep her from kicking or moving around with the first milking experience. I'm going to try and get one built so things go as smoothly as possible. Thank you so much for your help.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, Could you please post the measurements & photos for the rest of us as well?

Hi NellieBelle...Welcome! When your new calf arrives, please post pics!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I will be happy to post pics if I can figure out how to do it.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  4:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the photos of my side rail. Tomorrow morning, I'll turn my drawing of it (with detailed measurements) into a PDF and give you a link to it so you can print it.

I take the nut off this screw to adjust the chain for different cows. My minis aren't nearly as wide as my full-size Jersey. The other end of the chain has a brass hook that latches onto a large eye-hook in the wall. I think there's a pic of it in my book.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  07:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thank you! This is great. I will get the photos run off and wait to get the drawing from PDF link so I can get this to my welder and see what he can do for me. Thanks again. This is very much appreciated. (I just hope the welder can get too it quickly because Nellie is very close.)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  07:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As soon as Karina gets in (she turned the drawing into a PDF), I'll send it and the photos to you directly so they're bigger for printing. Probably in about 2 hours. You're welcome!

Wanted also to mention that this is how we cobbled one together. Your welder might have a better idea for attaching the wheel or something different for the functionality of the chain.

Also wanted to say that my girls learn how to back out rather quickly but if I move the milk bucket to the sink side of my parlor, the side rail opens all the way against the partition. BTW, my vacuum pump sits permanently on the other side of the partition and everyday I put the air tube up over the top to hook it to the milk bucket.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  08:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, sounds great. This will be a great help. I am so thankful. I had been looking at farm gates and thinking about cutting them up to work but this side rail design will be much better. I'm sure I will be all thumbs until I get into a routine of sorts. (Both Nellie and myself.) I plan to hand milk. Don't want to put cart before the horse, or count my chickens before they hatch so to speak, but, hopefully all will go well and we will have a new baby and milk cow.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  10:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the PDF of the drawing with detailed measurements.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/download/milking_side-rail.pdf

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  11:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much. This is wonderful! I hope to get the welder started on it as soon as he is able. I will feel much safer with a side bar like you use. I do so appreciate you taking the time to send the pictures and the detailed diagrams and supplies list.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  7:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you, MaryJane, for the pictures and diagram. We have a little more time before I will need this, so Janet, please let us know how it works out for you.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2014 :  08:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Charlene, as soon as we have our side rail made, I will post pictures.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CloversMum

MaryJane, Could you please post the measurements & photos for the rest of us as well?

Hi NellieBelle...Welcome! When your new calf arrives, please post pics!

Here is Nellie's calf, born 7/14/2014
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  09:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jersey calves are so adorable. Congrats!!! Glad all went well. It usually does.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! Any name yet? How are you working out the nursing and milking schedule now? Still figuring out what we will do when Clover has a little one.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2014 :  07:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe his name will be "Pumpkin Moonshine". He is the color of pumpkin and born under a beautiful full moon. Momma is not letting him nurse that we know of. We have tried to get him on teat but she/he just haven't got it worked out. (Hopefully in time). So, after I milk Nellie I use her milk and bottle feed the little guy. They both seem to be doing well, health wise and that's what my main concern is. Beautiful animals!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2014 :  10:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nellie has a very pretty face. So sorry to hear that little Pumpkin Moonshine isn't nursing well yet. We had to bottle feed Clover last summer and while it sometimes could be inconvient to bottle feed, Clover became very attached to us which I loved as she was the very first cow that I had been around! Lots of work right now for you, hang in there! Enjoy having a calf around as their antics can be so funny!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2014 :  10:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Yes, I'm hanging in there. I did purchase the Ultimate EZ Milker. Although it simple to use and easy to clean etc. I feel that Nellie prefers to be hand milked. And I would like to but I just don't have the staying power. I'm hoping she will get use to the milker and not mind it so much. She did really well this morning. Last evening was a challenge. I never sang "Beautiful Beautiful Brown Eyes" so much in my life. I just wanted her to stay calm and feel safe during the milking. Patience and Love, hopefully all will work out and we will have a great milk cow. And yes, they are a joy to watch.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  11:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you doing two teats at a time with the EZ? If you're more comfortable doing only one at a time, I had that work for me when I tried it just to see if it would work.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  12:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you doing two teats at a time with the EZ? If you're more comfortable doing only one at a time, I had that work for me when I tried it just to see if it would work.

I'm only doing one teat at a time. Nellie has been good through most of it but she still jostles around a bit. We just keep talking to her and continue with the milking. I believe it would be too upsetting to her to try two teats with the EZ. Maybe when she gets more use to the whole thing.(and me too). And I'm a bit nervous yet too. I know they say they can pick up on that but when I see a hoof lifting and coming forward, it gets all my respect. I will be so happy when the side rail is done and I can get it in use.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time will help settle things. Soon you'll get a routine and start feeling more relaxed and so will your lovely cow!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  05:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Time will help settle things. Soon you'll get a routine and start feeling more relaxed and so will your lovely cow!

Funny you say that. This morning Nellie beat me to the stanchion. I'm hoping all works out smoothly as time passes. There is nothing more satisfying than milking. Very cute to see Pumpkin Moonshine chewing his cud on one piece of hay this morning. :)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  06:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the calves start experimenting with hay from the very beginning. It's a joy to watch them develop. I do love the name Pumpkin Moonshine:) That can't help but put a smile on your face every morning.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: