Birth and Delivery
 Elli round 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I know better, I'm not going to freak out about Elli and calving, but it makes more sense to be as to why I did last time she calved. This is what greeted me today when I went out to chat with Elli in the pasture.
Her tail is all mounded up and VERY loose.

Her hind end is already starting to get poofy. Alex's hind end never got to looking like this, except when Xander was about ready to pop out. (Don't mind the poop. I gave her a bath and she promptly pooped and wiped it all over her freshly cleaned hind end.)

And then here's the proof that she still has a month to go. Her udder is nowhere near full although it is starting to fill out in the upper half. Her belly is finally getting tight, though. It's like she does things kind of backwards, so this time around I'm going to worry a lot less. :)

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  3:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love when you engage in spa day, and then they immediately poop all over ;>

she sure is a pretty cow.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  6:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love how I only showed you pictures of her hind end and you tell me she's a pretty cow, Cindy! Who would have dreamed we'd be here now?
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  06:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keeley i actually thought of that myself when i was writing the post, i was giggling at myself. but she's got that pretty golden color going on, nice legs, a pretty switch... she just looks beautiful to me!

it makes me want another cow... i keep reading your milking posts and miss my milking routine. i have milk on its way 2/27 from bea, but i am also conscientious now that sometimes mother nature takes a turn and me relying on that could go awry.

pretty cows, pretty cows!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  11:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elli really does have a pretty tail. It's very thick and long. Alex has what my husband calls a "buffalo tail." It's very short and thin. I keep thinking that when I send in hairs for testing I may have to send in her whole tail. :)
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  3:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to Eli's delivery. Getting closer. I really enjoy calving time. It's such a beautiful time. I loved working in OB years ago. I just look forward to the whole thing. Anticipation, anxious, sadness, relief, joy, exhaustion, elation, it's truly a miraculous process. Picking names, watching the new beginning with momma and calf relationship, the tender mooing when momma talks to her calf, the coaxing. I'm smitten. And the gift of milk, which will be here for you Cindy before you know it. Another calving to look forward to.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  3:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great big DITTO to what Janet said.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: