Pasture-fed vs. Grain-fed
 Dairy ration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  2:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We have a local company specializing in GMO free feeds. His company is not certified organic but does handle orgainic gmo-free alfalfa pellets. I tested his dairy ration blend and he uses citrus pulp instead of beet pulp because he says the risk of gmo is too high. Has anyone fed citrus pulp? Any comments?

Has anyone made any changes in their feeding program since we last discussed on the forum?

I have been using an organic gmo free source but would like to give his company my business since he is local.

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  3:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try to find it again but I think I read that beet pulp can be toxic to cattle anyway, so maybe citrus pulp would be better for that reason. What else is in it?

I'm still using Chaffhaye (mornings), grass hay (evenings) and almost no Modesto dairy ration right now (I have Miss Daisy on a diet and she's slowing losing weight). Also, they get some pasture (I'm watering mine right now for a few days so I have them off it.) I just recently felt like the bulls' pasture was looking sparse so I've started giving them some grass hay every morning.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  03:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caren, I'm using Chaffhaye and some Modesto Livestock feed/alfalfa pellets at milking. (twice daily), and then they have Alfalfa hay they may eat as desired. I've taken them off pasture which saddens me, but want to be sure Nellie is completely healed before she goes out into that wet area in the pasture.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  4:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the dairy ration ingredients: corn, milo, alfalfa, seaweed meal, diatomaceous earth, chicory root, red pepper, anise oil, clove oil, lemongrass oil, citrus pulp, and mineral supplements. (I can't read the rest of the ingredients because the paper is torn).

Thank you for sharing your feeding program. I am always trying to improve and learn more to help the girls.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: