Chatroom

[flourish]
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Bulls and Semen FOR SALE (or barter or swap)
 Beaumont
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 4

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AI bulls should be over 24 months of age before being collected...Some breeds require bulls to be even older than that to make sure that genetic and other health issues have time to come to light to prevent reproducing undesirable traits. However with the fad phase of mini cattle and especially mini dairy cattle, the pressure is there to make as much $$$$ as possible without consideration for the long term affects of that behavior!
Greed motivates some people and factors in above all else!

We want to be able to stand behind what we breed for the long haul....many breeders are only looking at the "cash cow" so to speak....
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  08:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remembering to check the age of the AI bull is very important for those of us that might need to use AI. I would hope that more demand for proven, older bulls would help to phase out the less than desirable ones and their breeders. So the consumer must be just as responsible as the producer.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2015 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beaumont came home yesterday. When I took him to WSU to be euthanized because of his severe hip dysplasia, I decided at the last minute to ask Dr. Parish if he would prepare his hide so that I could have it tanned. I didn't want his life to be a total waste. I dropped it off at Moscow Hide and Fur more than a year ago. It takes them a long time to properly tan a hide. They do meticulous work. It's perfect in every way. The bill was $190.

He'll reside in a 1953 Yellowstone trailer that I'm remodeling.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2015 :  11:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cool advertisement for your Yellowstone Coach trailer. And how much more special to have Beaumont back home and still "giving." What a kind and warm memento of Beaumont. Back near and dear to MaryJane's Farm.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2015 :  5:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not the desired end result of your Beumont dreams, but boy what a positive aspect to the whole experience. its lovely mary jane. and the trailer is a fitting tribute to the boy.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2015 :  8:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo Cindy's and 's comments. It is a beautiful way to remember Beaumont.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2015 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I agree, a lovely memory.
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  3:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to check out this thread again. Did you ever resolve the issue MaryJane? I was looking at a few websites, Sure Shot Ambassador is still on her website. She has changed a tiny bit. Not much at all, no DOB. I did find him on one more website:

http://www.southhousefarms.com/miniature-jersey-cows.html

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  5:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can do, or any of us can do at this point is to push for higher standards and put honesty on a pedestal.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  5:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree!! Thanks for the update!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  9:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, thank you, MaryJane, for helping to lead the way for honesty and higher standards. Thank you, thank you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: