Birth and Delivery
 We have a new calf!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  10:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I was just about to come on here this morning when my grandpa came to our school area, he said he needed some help... pulling a calf. This is the cow's second calf, her first calf was Josie, my sister's heifer.

It was my grandpa, my mom, my sister, and I, the first thing we did was get her tied up to a fence post so she wouldn't run around the pen while we tried to pull. We only had twine to pull with(we need to be more prepared next year). I pushed on her hip to try and keep her standing and I also held up her tail, my grandpa and mom pulled. At first we couldn't get it to come very far, we could see a nose and the front feet. Then one of the people who works for us came to help pull, I could only hold up her tail now because, with three people pulling, I was pushed out of the way. I couldn't get behind her enough to push on her hip. The calf was huge and if she went down we thought we would never be able to get the calf out. She went down and the calf came right out! It is a HUGE red bull calf! At first he didn't really breathe while we tried to help him breathe, my sister and I went to get a pail of cold water, once we got it as quickly as possible, we went back and dumped it on the calf, it started breathing immediately! She never would have had the calf on her own. It was so hot and dry it felt like 90 degrees in the sun!

The calf was trying to stand on his own when we left them peacefully, the mother(whose name is Milkshake) was licking him all over. I am so glad we had a live calf!! That's two cows down, one to go(we had one cow have a black bull calf a week or so ago)!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  3:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an exciting and nerve-wracking morning, Sydney! Glad to hear both mama and calf survived. I've never heard of the trick of splashing the calf with a bucket of cold water. I'd be afraid of getting it too chilled but with your dry weather and hot temps it sounds like that wasn't a worry.

Good job and congratulations on a new calf!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  3:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's just way too much excitement I'd say. Glad it turned out okay.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  4:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: