Barnyard Buddies
 Goats are born! Yay!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cousin is the one with the goats, she had two healthy kids born almost a week ago, one boy and one girl! She went out to the barn and was surprised to see her goat, Lydia, had kidded! At the same time, one of her other goats, Ula(I don't know how to spell it, but it is pronounced you-la) was in labor. The next day, my mom got a call from her saying it was a breech birth and to come help immediately! They had called their vet, but everyone was in surgery. I had to stay at home, until I got a call from our vet, I didn't know what was happening, so I had to go to my cousin's house(only 1/2 mile away), when I got to the barn, Ula had delivered two boys, they(my mom, cousin, and her mom) tried to save them, but they were both dead. My cousin was in tears so I walked with her to go get the antibiotics for Ula and we talked, she calmed down and was very glad that Ula was safe. They felt to see if there was any other kids, but felt none. Later that day, we got a call saying she had another one, a girl who just didn't look right, we had no idea where it was, neither of them had felt anything. It was already dead. Ula got to go in a pen with Lydia and her kids, she started eating and drinking and is doing great! She is getting milked and is acting like herself!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  5:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some goat deliveries go without a hitch and others aren't so easy ... sorry to hear of all the troubles, but super glad the mama does are doing well. Glad that Ula is getting antibiotics ... one of our does had antibiotics as well. I give it to them anytime I need to go inside the uterus during birthing. It's amazing how resilient goats can be and how fast they recover! Enjoy those little goat kids though!

What breed of goats does your cousin have?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  09:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has Nubians.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: