News of Cowcern
 Not all cows suit once-a-day milking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this article about selecting genetically for OAD (once a day) milkers was interesting. But it was the paragraph below that really caught my eye. Everyone is always trying to set themselves apart so I don't think it will be very long before we see marketing around OAD milk being healthier for you. It's a marketer's dream come true: Bio-Active Milk. I can see it now.

Photo via Sonita Chandar / stuff.co.nz

"The team is also studying milk composition as OAD milk has a different concentration of milksolids. The concentration of milksolids is higher but also, the protein lactoferrin increases on OAD," he says. There is a big variation so this project will put us in the position to identify those cows with high lactoferrin production. Lactoferrin is a protein of milk containing anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and believed by medical scientists to have immune-enhancing properties. Those in the trade call it a "bio-active", a high value, minute component of cow's milk, also found in human breast milk, but in much higher proportions."

The full article is from Stuff.co.nz: http://bit.ly/1ngZI7o

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  4:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting mary jane. i also thought the fact that OAD milking was proving less expensive was interesting, "Already, OAD is proving to be economically viable – especially in a low payout year. There is reduction of costs in terms of power, veterinary bills, labour costs and capital expenditure."

it makes sense. less stress on the cow equates for better health, less manpower and vets and costs to deal with ill health, the cows in better health live longer so less capital outlay over time.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  8:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very interesting, I do agree there could be lots of marketing for OAD milk now.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  7:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people think that cows absolutely have to be milked twice a day ... so learning that once a day milking works too may increase the interest for the family cow. And then we all can direct them to MaryJane's Milk Cow Kitchen. :)

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: