Calf Health
 Cows' Milk Teeth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yesterday we learned something new ... cows lose their milk teeth and Clover left one for us in her food dish while Ethan was milking her. We panicked some until we started reading about it.

Cows have eight incisors in their bottom jaw with just a hard pad on the top. In the back of the mouth, cows have pre-molars and molars in both the top and the bottom. Milk teeth are present when they are born and then are lost in a well-defined order when the permanent teeth begin to erupt. This is a process that can begin around 18 months and continues until approximately 5 years.

Ethan says he is definitely keeping Clover's tooth! Fun to learn something new!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the fairy visit.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  4:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
learn something new every day !

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  7:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll be sure to ask what Clover wants since she left her tooth in her grain bucket!

I would have never known about cows' milk teeth except for the fact Clover left one for us. Most teeth are probably swallowed or lost out in the pasture.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  8:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found one in our group feeder a couple of years ago. I kept it for good luck.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay ... Ethan is in good company as he is keeping Clover's tooth as well!

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: