New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  04:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning to you all. Had thunderstorms through the night and it's still raining. 9/10's" in the gauge so far. Didn't need it after the 3.6" we just had but that's not for me to worry about. So more than likely another inside day which is fine because we spent most of yesterday outdoors working on different projects. Have a very pleasant day everyone. New calves???Brown Thrasher

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  05:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good morning janet. no new calves here but we can dream ;>

back at the desk this morning. my four youngest chickens managed to learn about cat food this weekend during our absence so now they are eating all the cat and kitten food i put out. found two of them sitting in the back porch rocker with a kitten curled up at their feet this morning. not sure what to do with these chicken babies, at 12 weeks they are just a hair smaller than the gap under the gate to the chicken yard so they squeeze under with a bit of work whenever they want..

have a GREAT day everyone, hoping MJ has news of calves today.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  05:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy cow Janet. Good thing you guys have a lumber yard handy . Start building an Ark!

Good morning Janet and Joe.....partly cloudy here and cool with 100% chance of skeeters. Have I ever mentioned how I feel about skeeters? Out there about 3 times a day spraying the cows...just tossed out another bag of fly predators and hung more fly traps .....smells like a cedar lemongrass forest out there.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  06:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Ron and Elaine. Good morning Cindy. Even with all the rain we've had the mosquitoes are not bad. Don't get me wrong, we have some but they haven't been so bad as to be bothersome. That could change. ;( Cindy, when I call the cats to come eat on our bottom landing, everything comes. Cat's, kittens, guineas, and one duck. Both roosters come and eat the cat food as well as drink cow's milk. It's a sight. I can't separate everything, so it is what it is. Farm life.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  06:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have some news to share with you all, but only a portion will I tell you. MaryJane informed me a little while ago, that Miss Sally O'Mally had a little girl calf, around 11:30 last evening. She thought you would all like to know, and knew Cindy has been anxious to hear about Miss Sally O'Mally (her future family milk cow). MaryJane's internet is down and so cannot post at this time, but she will be able to hopefully later today, with pictures of the beautiful little addition to the MJB farm bovine family. The new calf sounds adorable, but I am not disclosing anymore. MaryJane will hopefully be back on later today and tell you all about Sally O'Mally and her new offspring. Congratulations MaryJane!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful news! Always good to see a heifer on the ground. Congratulations to all!

Good morning Cindy..looks like no more driving for milk pretty soon!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  06:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's what we all want, Healthy calves and mommas. I'll take whatever comes, be it heifer or bull as long as they can both come through it with flying colors. Still raining. Can't afford and Ark Ron, perhaps I could cobble up a raft from pallets. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  08:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol...or higher ground? Do cows float?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, mine may have to find out. Did you mix up your own skeeter spray Ron?

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  08:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOLY COW!! thanks for sharing Janet, glad that momma and baby are doing fine. i was a worry wart all weekend while we were on the road, kept popping my personal email and checking HJO in case something went awry.

CONGRATS Miss Sally O'Mally and Mary Jane - happy birthday to the wee one!!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane knew you were wondering Cindy, and wanted to be sure that you did, but her internet was down. But she will tell you and the rest of us all about it along with photos, when they restore her internet. Can't wait. New calves, new beginnings are such exciting and happy moments. Mike, how is Ginger Snap doing today? Sydney, how is AppleButter this morning?

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whether or not we get to take the calf home, it is my first grandcalf ever! happy moo to me!!

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet,
Thanks for the news! Heifer calves rule!!!! Ginger is just bigger.. Valerie saw the first dragon flies yesterday, big blue ones, three of them enjoying mosquito lunches. Garden looking good, if wet.
Any news of cherry pies in Barnyard, Iowa? Sniffing the breezes, hoping to catch a whiff of pie.

Time to trim horses hooves. Lotsa hooves.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Mike and Valerie. No pies today. I put the pitted cherries in the freezer. If the birds didn't clean the tree I may go pick more. I work better in the rain than the heat. Yes to dragonflies. Eat them skeeters. Keep us posted on Ginger Snap please. :) Careful trimming those horse hooves.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
11:30 pm 6/14/15
Welcome Elsa O'Mally!!!!

Just not sure what to do with my legs.

There, tuck them under.

Five hours later ...
The sun is about to rise. Come, let me show you the world.

And meet the others. Left to right, Sweet William, Miss Daisy, Elsa O'Mally, Sally O'Mally, Rose Etta

Mother and son (Miss Daisy and Sweet William).

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Elsa O'Mally is gorgeous. Such a little dear. It's so nice to see all the cows all gather out in the pasture together like one happy family, just a beautiful thing. Thank you once again MaryJane for sharing your experience with all of us. Truly a treasure.

Go to Top of Page

koverfelt

61 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  11:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone! Hope you are having a great day so far. This morning when I got to work, the first thing I did was go see the new baby, Elsa O'Mally. She's so sweet. Here are a few photos I took.

Sally O'Mally always kept close watch over Elsa while I was there.

Doesn't she have the sweetest face?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photo's. I just love Elsa's markings. Adorable little thing. I'm hugging her, and kissing those sweet little wrinkles on her nose. Thanks Karina.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  11:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary Jane, she is BEAUTIFUL!!

I had very selfish dueling thoughts this morning:
- thank god Sally was in better hands last night than my inexperienced ones
- man why didn't i get our fences done and get Sally here two months ago

You have done a great job and thanks for sharing, its just incredible. I am very grateful to learn from you and be able to share in this event.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sally and elsa photos going crazy all over my work email. the city folks in Cali already thought i was nutters, but they are enjoying seeing the photos. at least i have good nutters company over here at HJO.

Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just doesn't get any more cute than that. What adorable little ones.

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, I can hardly tell you are happy and excited. LOL. Be careful who you share the photo's with. These darling animals are sooooo contagious. Make wonderful family milk cows. ;) Hello Victoria. So happy to see you. Hope all is going well. How is AnnaBelle doing?

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet - i honestly feel almost as though i am there... i am emotionally exhausted this morning from the anticipation, and then the photos! i don't think it could get better than this in that knowing how well my cow is being cared for and being able to share in all of this. it really is a true blessing. yes, it has made me more antsy again to get her here asap - but things just work out how they are supposed to and MJ really went out of her way to make this a win/win for us all.

we are all so blessed.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, I am so happy for you. Enjoy this whole experience my dear. There really is nothing like it. This is the way it should be done. I can truly say, You are in Cow Heaven!

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  1:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bet there were tears in Texas :)

Looks like a five star cow home there. Beautiful cows, beautiful homes for cows. Love all around.

Thanks, Maryjane.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  1:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were tears of joy here Mike, and there not even my cow/calf. So I'm guessing you're right. Tears in Texas for sure. Happy day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: