|T O P I C R E V I E W
|Posted - Apr 29 2017 : 06:39:35 AM
When Miss Daisy started limping, we found two wood chips stuck in between her claws on the left front foot. We cleaned them out and felt her foot for heat. It was more warm than the other front foot and she was licking it.
Here you can see the little bit of white, swollen tissue at the top of her claw.
We started treating it with Durasol that we had on hand.
We also began a 5-day OAD round of intramuscular administered antibiotic shots. We can discard her milk for human use but I was worried about her calf so I chose a zero milk discard antibiotic called Naxcel. It's spendy--$90 for five days worth.
It this doesn't work, she'll need to go to the vet to have the tiny abscess lanced and then a protective claw fitted to her foot.
|8 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
|Posted - May 08 2017 : 07:52:08 AM
That's good to hear, I was watching for an update, hoping that everything healed up. I'm sure Miss Daisy is happy too.
|Posted - May 07 2017 : 8:25:57 PM
Well, the Epsom salt poultice and/or antibiotic seems to have worked. Daisy seems fit as a fiddle again.
|Posted - May 05 2017 : 05:27:04 AM
Thanks for asking. At first Miss Daisy was willing to let us work on it. We've kept it as clean as possible, packing an Epsom salt poultice/gel into the crack and then wrapping it with a cloth bandage and then duct tape.
But she simply will not let us work with it any more. We almost had a fiasco in the hoof trim chute, then we tried the milking parlor. She arches her back, swivels her head around and totally freaks out. We could try the squeeze chute next but I thought a break was in order. It's looking better and she isn't favoring it, so maybe it will continue to heal. The debridement idea is still on the table. I'd made an appt. at WSU but had to cancel. Just not sure what to try next. Watch and wait.
Here's how it looked after two separate wraps and a thorough cleaning. Better than the first day.
We also need get her cast for a hoof trim. Haven't been able to because she was pregnant. Soon.
|Posted - May 04 2017 : 7:22:02 PM
Curious to know how Miss Daisy's hoof is doing? Did it clear up or was debridement necessary?
|Posted - Apr 30 2017 : 8:20:36 PM
Glad to hear Sal is upright and sturdy again. So far so good with Miss Daisy. Two more days of antibiotics and then time will tell if we need to do more.
|Posted - Apr 30 2017 : 2:52:02 PM
well sally seems to have just had a temporary limp/hesitation and seems to be fine, thanks for asking janet. i suppose we have only had two problems with her, but as much as we think we see a slight hesitation once in awhile, i guess we are hyperfocused on it and making it into a larger problem than it really has been.
hope miss daisy is bouncing back beautifully!
|Posted - Apr 30 2017 : 09:58:53 AM
It's a wonder there isn't more hoof problems here as nasty as it is with the rain and muck they go through. Certainly hope Miss Daisy foot is on the mend, as well as Sally O'Mally's.
|Posted - Apr 29 2017 : 4:12:58 PM
thanks for the details maryjane. sally o'mally's hoof issues seem to be reocurring on our farm so this is good detail for us. we haven't chosen to treat it ourselves up to this point, but there is always a first time!